A bright, white smile can make you look younger and more attractive. It can also boost your self-confidence and help you feel better about yourself. However, many people feel self-conscious about the color of their teeth. Fortunately, at J. Whitley Wills, DDS, we offer professional whitening treatments that can instantly transform your smile.
Professional teeth whitening is a quick procedure that can be performed in a single visit. Our dentist will apply a bleaching agent to your teeth and then shine a light on your teeth to activate the whitening process. In-office whitening can lighten your teeth by several shades in just one appointment.
At-home whitening kits are also available. These kits contain trays filled with a bleaching gel that you place over your teeth for a specified time each day. The trays are usually worn overnight while you sleep. Over-the-counter products are also available, but they may not be as effective as professional treatments.
Suitable Candidates for Teeth Whitening
- Candidates for teeth whitening should have generally healthy teeth and gums. Any underlying dental issues, such as cavities or gum disease, should be addressed before teeth whitening to ensure the best results.
- Teeth whitening is most effective for individuals with extrinsic stains, which are stains on the surface of the teeth. Common causes of extrinsic stains include coffee, tea, red wine, smoking, and certain foods. Intrinsic stains, which are stains within the tooth structure, may not respond as well to teeth whitening but can still benefit from professional treatment.
- Teeth whitening is most effective on yellow or lightly discolored teeth. It may not work as well on teeth with gray or brown discoloration.
- Maintaining good oral hygiene is essential before and after teeth whitening to prevent new stains and maintain the results. Suitable candidates should be willing to commit to proper oral care practices.
- Teeth whitening does not work on dental restorations like crowns, veneers, or fillings. If you have visible restorations, consider replacing or adjusting them after teeth whitening to match your newly whitened natural teeth.
The Benefits of Teeth Whitening
A whiter smile can make you look younger and more vibrant. It can also boost your self-confidence and make you feel more comfortable when smiling.
When you feel good about your smile, you are more likely to show it off. This can lead to increased confidence and improved social interactions.
Reduced Risk of Cavities
Having your teeth whitened in Memphis, TN can help reduce your risk of developing cavities. This is because whitening treatments help to remove the plaque and tartar that build up on the teeth and can lead to tooth decay.
To learn more about professional teeth whitening, visit J. Whitley Wills, DDS, at 59 S Idlewild St., Memphis, TN 38104, or call (901) 726-9525 to schedule a consultation. Our dentist can recommend the best course of treatment for you and help you achieve the bright, beautiful smile you’ve always wanted.