Dental emergencies are sudden and often painful issues or injuries affecting the teeth, gums, or oral structures that require immediate attention and treatment by a dentist. These emergencies can include severe toothaches, broken or knocked-out teeth, dental abscesses, oral bleeding, or injuries to the mouth and jaw. At J. Whitley Wills, DDS, we provide timely care for dental emergencies to relieve pain, prevent complications, and preserve oral health and function.
Types of Dental Emergencies
If you have a toothache, rinse your mouth with warm water and apply a cold compress to your cheek or jaw. Avoid chewing on the painful tooth, and take over-the-counter pain medication. If the pain persists over a few hours, contact our office immediately.
Chipped or Broken Teeth
If you chip a tooth, save the pieces if possible and bring them with you to your appointment. Rinse your mouth with warm water and apply gauze to any bleeding areas. If you’ve broken a tooth, apply pressure to the area with a cold compress to reduce swelling.
If your tooth is knocked out, pick it up by the crown and rinse it gently with water. Do not scrub the tooth or use soap to clean it. If possible, place the tooth back into the socket without touching the roots. If you can’t do this, put the tooth in a small container of milk and bring it with you to your appointment.
Broken Braces or Wires
If a wire breaks through your bracket or band, you can clip the wire using nail clippers. Then, cover the end with orthodontic wax to prevent it from irritating your cheeks or gums.
The Benefits of Visiting an Emergency Dentist
- Our emergency dentist in Memphis, TN, provides prompt care, offering immediate relief from severe pain, discomfort, or injuries, helping to manage the situation effectively.
- Seeking timely emergency dental care in Memphis, TN, can prevent dental issues from worsening and causing more extensive problems that may require complex treatments.
- Our emergency dentistcan address issues like broken or knocked-out teeth, increasing the likelihood of preserving the natural teeth and their function.
- Dental infections can spread rapidly and even affect your overall health. Our emergency dentist can manage and treat dental infections to prevent their escalation.
- Our emergency dentist is skilled in managing dental injuries caused by accidents or falls, ensuring appropriate treatment to minimize further damage.
- In the case of orthodontic issues, such as broken braces, our emergency dentist can make necessary adjustments to alleviate discomfort and prevent further complications.
- Our emergency dentist can diagnose the cause of pain or discomfort, providing you with a clear understanding of your condition and the recommended treatment options.
Seeking immediate dental care in the case of a dental emergency prevents further damage to your teeth, gums, and oral structures, preserving your health and aesthetics. Visit J. Whitley Wills, DDS, at 59 S Idlewild St., Memphis, TN 38104, or call (901) 726-9525 for more information.