Are you prepared on what to do if a crisis arises and an oral emergency occurs? Have you laid out definitive protection plans to treat your teeth and gums should the worst happen? Although it is always important to seek immediate medical attention, the steps you take before assistance can be given can make the difference in a lengthy recovery or a short stay on the disabled list. Listed below are key facets of oral emergency preparation and why it is needed:
– If a tooth becomes dislodged or falls out, there is a chance it can still be saved. Immediately place the broken tooth in milk or an approved tooth-saving product such as Save-A-Tooth. Keep the tooth moist until you can visit with your dentist to have the tooth reinserted.
– If you have any type of foreign object lodged in your mouth, try using an interdental cleaner such as a water flosser or threaded dental floss to remove the item. Avoid the use of sharp objects to try and remove them.
– It is normal to bite your tongue and lip, especially while eating, but it can lead to disaster. If a bite occurs, wash your mouth out with water to keep the wound clean. If you are bleeding heavily, apply gauze until the bleeding stops. If you severely bite your lip and tongue and bleeding will not stop, you may need to visit your doctor for stitches.
– If you crack or fracture a tooth, cleanse the area around the tooth so it is clean and clear of debris and fully sanitized. If you are bleeding, apply gauze to the wound until the bleeding stops.
– If you have lost a filling, use a piece of chewing gum or dental cement to coat the area until you get treatment. If you have lost a dental crown, conceal the area with a cotton swab that ideally is coated in clove oil.
Depending on your oral emergency, our dentist at Dr. J. Whitley Wills can help you find which treatment will work best for you. Dr. J. Whitley Wills and our team would love to see you at our dentist office in Memphis, Tennessee. To schedule an appointment, please call us at 901-726-9525. We look forward to hearing from you soon!