We want your gums to remain safe from all sorts of oral health ailments, including periodontal disease. Periodontal disease, also known as gum disease, is caused by the death of tissue surrounding the teeth. If left unchecked, irreversible tooth loss will occur. Plaque buildup on and around the teeth is commonly seen as the greatest risk of contracting gum disease. Eliminating gum disease and plaque buildup includes knowing what puts you at the greatest risk for it.
Do you know the risks of gum disease? Listed below are some common ones you might not immediately think of:
– Individuals who suffer from diabetes can suffer from infections easier, which includes gum disease.
– Smoking is a major risk factor for gum disease. Besides the vast array other diseases that could potentially arise, smoking can directly cause gum disease and lower your chances for a successful treatment of the disease. Chewing tobacco is also another risk factor.
– Gum disease can be caused by low saliva flow. Many medications cause dry mouth symptoms.
– Treatments for various diseases, including cancer, can affect your gums negatively, potentially leading to gum disease.
– Sometimes gum disease can be caused by genetics alone. Some people tend to be more genetically susceptible to gum disease than others.
– Hormonal deviations in girls and women could increase their risk for gingivitis, a precursor to gum disease. The risk is due to heightened sensitivity in your gums.
If you are suffering from gum disease, or feel you may be at risk for the disease, please contact our office at 901-726-9525 to schedule an appointment with Dr. J. Whitley Wills at our office in Memphis, Tennessee. Making your smile healthy and safe is our goal!